Thursday, August 3, 2023

Not just for millionaires

 


Sometimes I feel vaguely defensive about playing golf, long considered the pastime of idle fat cats in white shoes and ugly pants.

In reality, I walk public courses using hand-me-down clubs in the company of other grandmothers for about the cost of a movie or a tee shirt.

          I took up golf at 62 and had never touched a club till then. No mystery, then, on why I’m not particularly good at it. But I had retired from teaching and was looking about for something to fill the time no longer spent keeping teens in their seats while working through the War Poets or untangling Shakespeare. It was also a godsend during Covid. Golf was one of the few no-contact things available. Exercise! Fresh air! Other people!

          Yes, golf courses take up large expanses of land that could be

used for farming. However in my area, the rich land of the Connecticut Valley, once a big agricultural area, the farms have been folding over the years. (Sadly, the small farms are especially challenged this year after flooding that destroyed the entire year’s crop.)

 And yes, all that grass needs to be maintained, but from a climate perspective, I’d rather see grass and trees than the asphalt of another shopping area or housing development.        

          And the views can’t be beat.





7 comments:

  1. I would MUCH rather see grass/trees than shopping centres and parking lots too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take lessons when you first started? - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did. And every year or so I'll take like a 1 week refresher. And yet my game changes not one iota. :o)

      Delete
  3. I'd be content with walking the course and leaving the golfing to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a pleasant space for a walk. I used to play tennis and thought that I would save golf for my later years. Back problems put an end to those thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister took up golf later in life, too. She's not terrible but will never be very good. She sure enjoys it, though. Me, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always thought golf is mainly just an excuse to walk around outside. I figure I can do that without swinging a club!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.