Saturday, December 9, 2023

Projects

 

When Friday ended I looked back and realized I’d gotten more done than I’d realized.

  

        First came something I’d been putting off, but our cloudy glassware couldn’t be ignored any longer.

        As of this summer, I have a shiny new dishwasher but in the battle between it and our hard water, it was losing in spite of the fact that we almost wash the dishes before we wash the dishes. A dismantling and cleaning of the various filters, two cups of vinegar in a rinse cycle and hopefully now I won’t have to edit the glasses I give to company.


          We also have a new air conditioning unit. The last, original, one was easily over twenty years old and some of its wires had been nibbled by our cute woodland creatures.


 Hoping to discourage a repeat, I gathered a produce bag, a couple of old seltzer bottles and a box of mothballs. The mothballs were small enough to fit through the mouth of the bottles, which I then stabbed several times with an icepick and then planted outside in key locations.


          My afternoon was spent running errands, and then rubbing elbows with too many people in the grocery store. I should know better than to shop on a Friday, but the next round of events meant I needed ingredients for sliders (Saturday), nut bread (Sunday), and fancy cookies (Monday). Not to mention the more important elements of tonic, wine, and prosecco. 

7 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be ironic if mothballs actually ATTRACT squirrels?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy - and put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope your glasses are now sparkling. And I had know about mothballs as a deterrent for a long time. If it doesn't work, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if this will work, but I figured I'd give it a try. I've since seen that using mothballs is frowned upon since they'd contaminate the soil, but mine are trapped in soda bottles, so I think mine are okay.

      Delete
  4. May all your solutions have the desired effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know air conditioners can last that long. My glasses and all other dishes are hand washed and dried and I've never had a cloudy glass yet. SA has hard water too, so glasses are dried as soon as they are washed, with one of Joanne's teatowels.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.