Friday, December 15, 2023

Fears Realized

 

I hate having my teeth cleaned. It’s probably due to the bad old days when my gums had started receding and that fiendish jet-powered water cannon was used to scrub at the base of your teeth.

          Now, thanks to Covid, that evil mechanism seems to be retired (I think because it would stir up germs and blast them into the air) and we’re back to the good old days of picking and scraping the tartar away.

          When I’m sitting there, gripping the chair arms and waiting for the tech to hit a nerve, I tell myself, Well, at least I don’t have a cold. Dental work is unpleasant enough without gagging because your sinuses are blocked, or sneezing just as someone is coming at you with a sharp object.

          Except for the past couple of days a cold has been circling, dancing in and out, and this morning I had a suspicion it was here. I slugged back some DayQuill, hoping that would do the trick. Off I went to my appointment

Nope. I’d been sitting in the dentist’s chair with my mouth agape for too long. A tickle in my throat began halfway through the polishing portion. I hadn’t coughed all day but I could wait no longer. I raised a hand, she backed up, I had a sip of water and thought, There. All gone.

          The hygienist moved in again, and again I had to wave her away. This time she left the room (leaving me feeling like a plague carrier) and I coughed into my elbow. Heaven.

          We finished without incident and I haven’t had a glimmer of a cough since.

11 comments:

  1. I hope your cold stays gone. It is also nice to hear that someone else grips the dentist's chair. Tightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hygienist hasn't used that water torture on me for years because I told her the old fashioned way or no way. I think she had to go ask an old hygienist how it was done. They do wear full protective gear in my dentist's office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my hygienist looks like she's about to land on the moon with all her gear on.

      Delete
  3. Having stuffy sinuses is my worry at the dentist too, so I usually take some antihistamine for any allergies before my appointment and it has the added benefit of making me a bit sleepy which helps quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came down with a cold last week but it quickly disappeared, after testing for covid I was glad that was all it was. I hadn't had a cold in three years, since we began masking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You psyched yourself out, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you're right. Trying not to think about that tickle in my throat was like someone telling you not to picture an elephant.

      Delete
  6. Spot on description. I could almost feel your discomfort.
    I would "never" be a hygienist for various reasons, this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless their hearts. I can't imagine doing that all day.

      Delete
  7. I can be breathing freely until I'm in the dentist's chair and then my nose stops up and I have to breathe through my mouth (not a good idea with drilling and water spraying going on) or hold my breath, constantly stopping him so I can breathe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.