Monday, December 4, 2023

Let there be light

 I’m off the ladder and into the knee brace, the result of my morning’s activities.

          First was my Boomer exercise class at the Y. It happens three times a week, but I’m really only faithful about going on Mondays since I like the instructor. Wednesday is overseen by a woman who teaches Zumba, and so inserts pointless hip thrusts and shimmies into things. I also don’t like the music she brings. And I really have no excuse for sporadic attendance at the Friday class other than lethargy.

          Monday’s class is popular, to the point where you’re lucky to find a parking place. The usual suspects were there – the eight or so men in the crowd of over fifty women. Bless their hearts for being there, even if not one of them has any sense of rhythm. I spotted the lady across the gym whose sparkly sneakers always catch my eye. Over to my right was the woman whose outfits – always complete with necklace (I expect to see pearls someday) – could easily transition right to an upscale lunch out. And several of the women exercise in long-sleeved shirts or fleece tops. Why they don’t keel over with heatstroke is beyond me.

          The good news was that after two groups of twelve-rep squats and twelve more ups and downs out of our chairs while holding weights, my knees held together. Although there was an iffy moment with my left knee during some of the lunges.

          But I survived to return home and address our garage. The lights built into the garage door opener had both burned out. For two people in their 70s to feel their way down the two steps to access our cars in darkness is not the best idea. Or when we pull in, the race to the door into the house before our headlights fade isn’t any better.

          I refuse to live in a house of un-addressed DIYs, with band-aided solutions instead of fixing the problem, something I've seen in aging households.

 


         So out came the big ladder and up I went, screwdriver in hand. Happily, I neither electrocuted myself nor fell off the ladder. I was able to not only open the plastic housing, but amazingly, we even had the right wattage bulbs to replace the burned-out ones. With any luck, these will last us a while, but the next time they burn out I suspect we’ll be paying someone to replace them.

8 comments:

  1. Good grief, those are the exercises we do--Monday and Thursday. We also have a yoga class Wednesday and I go to these three. There is some stupid chair dancing class on Tuesday that I have dubbed Shake, Rattle and Roll. There is no reason to that program. I went once. Seldom miss one of the other three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, doing them twice a week. I've got to get more consistent.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you managed to replace the bulbs, I would have had to call a friend to help out as I no longer climb ladders. But why do people persist in stumbling around in the dark when they could be carrying torches? (flashlights) Especially when there are steps involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Although I refused to use a flashlight to find my car.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad that you were able to replace the bulbs. Ladders are on my no-go list now. Sigh.
    And I am religious about attending my Monday session with the exercise physiologist - sadist though she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am attending a Strength Training class on Mondays and Fridays, which means I miss my Monday yoga class, but I will return after this is over. I am enjoying learning all these new machines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a strength training class years ago that got me started at the YMCA. We did it with hand weights, though, and it almost had the meditative quality of yoga.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it satisfying to fix an annoying problem like that? Good job!
    I haven't done an organized exercise class in a long time. You've got me thinking that maybe I should try yoga again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.