Monday, July 24, 2023

SNAFU Update

 


Thanks to all you kind people who took the time to think about and write in with suggestions on solving my technical issue. 

I've just gotten off the phone with our computer repair magicians, who can access my laptop remotely. (Genius idea, allowing me to sit comfortably at home with my tea during the process.) 

After what must have been at least 20 minutes of frustration, especially for the patient tech who was completely unfamiliar with Blogger and its vagaries, we solved it. In fact, I could have solved it in 2 seconds. 

Firefox does not like Blogger - who can blame it? - and refused to recognize me as signed in to my site. A simple switch to Chrome and voila! I'm a person again. Good grief.


I'll now return to my regularly scheduled life of writing and looking out the window at hummingbirds. 

Addendum:
Whatever was done this morning then screwed up my email account. I called my handy tech guy back. He hunted and fumbled, at one point insisting that the page of my blog that's just the file of my posts was the main page, and making that the default when I opened my blog. I pointed out that I could no longer see my blog. He finally sorted things out but in the process proved that a- he truly knows nothing about blogger and b-he's one of those people unable to admit when he's wrong. 
           And best of all, as we were on the phone with each other I heard a muttered comment about ".. . .years and doesn't understand anything . . over 60 should just get off  . . "
           My next decision is whether to contact his boss, to whom we've paid many, many dollars in computers and tech support over the years. 
             I can honestly say I haven't been hit by ageism before and I don't like it.  


7 comments:

  1. I like Firefox too. And sometimes I can use it to access blogger. And WordPress. And sometimes it flatly refuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt that ageist slap all the way here in Texas, and it still hurts. Don’t let him get away with it. Older people have done their part to make this place what it is today. It’s people like us—people who are not computer savy—who pay his bills. He has a job because of us. Someone needs to remind him.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you. As my husband pointed out, and I wish I'd said, if we had all his fabulous computer knowledge, we wouldn't need him.
      Arrogant nerd.

      Delete
  3. I use Chrome and Safari and have never liked Firefox that much. Welcome to your first but probably not last geezer insults. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember running on Firefox for a while and Safari too, tried Chrome and didn't like it. My current laptop came with Microsoft Edge and I've been running on that with no problems at all for several years now.
    Your computer nerd will find himself out of date one day. But I think a word to his boss is in order, you shouldn't have heard him say what he said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrome works on my computer and tablet but doesn't seem to on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who does he think started computing? I'm 70 - it was my age cohort that was writing COBOL and Fortran and automating stuff. Call his boss, this is just BS.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.