Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Flawed Conversation

    


      I’m on the verge of painting my toenails a wild and crazy color today. Not sure how long it will stay there. I enjoy seeing cobalt blue or chartreuse on other women’s feet, but I’m not sure how much I want to draw attention to mine, which are not only enormous, but will never win any beauty prizes.

          Which puts me in mind of a conversation I had the other day with a woman I’d only just met. We were on the sidelines at Pickleball, waiting our turn to play. She turned to me and out of the blue, said something to the effect of, “I should just sit on my hands, they look so awful.” She held up a perfectly acceptable hand, with the last remnants of clear polish on her nails.

          This was a fairly attractive woman in perhaps her late 60s, pointing out what she considered a flaw to a complete stranger.

          I responded the way I suspected most women would, by trotting out a flaw of my own. “Well, it’s a good thing I have shoes on right now. You don’t want to know what my toenails look like.”

          Why do we do this?

 

10 comments:

  1. I know not. And wish I did. And wonder whether men are guilty of the same crime/silliness. I suspect not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know what to say. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good thing you've not heard any of my replies (see what I did there?).
    And no, I don't know why we do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the last pedicure topped off with polish. I still consider my big feet so ugly, the polish is off and the sandals still in the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet do we notice other people's feet as much as we think they notice ours?

      Delete
  5. I don't know why we do this either. I have never had a pedicure nor painted my toenails either. I very rarely paint my fingernails because the stuff just doesn't stay on longer than a day before chipping off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have stopped doing pedicures to save money. I don't mind my feet but now that I only take yoga once a week in a small class, nobody sees them bare. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmmm. Interesting. Yeah, I don't think guys do this much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We probably do that very thing to ingratiate the person with the flawed fingernails or whatever- it's a club- and our flaws are dues .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.