Saturday, July 8, 2023

End of the week wrap up

The end of my week brought redemption and adventure.

          I seem to have found a remedy for my abysmal throw-your-clubs-into-the-shrubbery golf game. Don’t play. I hadn’t swung a club in over two weeks, but I played a remarkably good (for me) game on Thursday.

The cure certainly wasn’t the company. Of the two women assigned me by my league, one was downright crabby. 

In fact, at the 5th hole when we were in a Disneyesque scene with throaty bullfrogs calling from a nearby bog and fat groundhogs gamboling on the lawn,  she snapped “I should run them over with my cart.” Maybe she’s just a dedicated gardener who’d been invaded once too often.

I returned home to find a big truck in the driveway. Again.


We’d had three weeks of this with the roofers and our patience has been running thin. I was able to get my car in the garage, though, and when I looked at the back yard, I found the reason for our visitor.


 

 

 It wasn’t a roofer, but the landscaping company, and he’d scattered grass seed and straw to repair the damage the roofers and their gigantic siege-like bucket loader had done to the ground. 

 

Late in the afternoon yesterday we drove to a neighboring town to see Harrison Ford’s (all 80 year-olds should take inspiration from him) Dial of Destiny. Granted, it was the 5:15 showing, but this is what the theater looked like at 5:00 –

(I know, weird to have a counter in front of your seat, but it does come in handy.)

This theater has been around for years, but I sure hope their later shows are better attended. I can’t imagine how they stay in business. But it was delightful – only one other couple arrived and we watched the movie in blissful isolation. Oh, and the movie was pretty good, too.

 

10 comments:

  1. A very crabby fellow player. Did her mood improve?
    How nice to have the theatre almost to yourselves - with the bonus of a movie you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a personal resolve to stop talking to her.

      Delete
  2. I will have to see that movie. I've heard others say it's pretty good. And yeah, how does that movie theater stay in business?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that he people randomly assigned aren't as pleasant as we!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then, how could anyone be as delightful as us?

      Delete
  4. I haven’t even considered going to a movie since before you know what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this would be a safe place to start with only two other people in the theater.

      Delete
  5. I have that movie on my list to see. The counter looks handy, a place to put your popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I go to a movie these days it looks like that. (Granted, I go to afternoon movies.) I don't know how cinemas survive.

    How come these trucks always park in YOUR driveway? Don't other people have driveways?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our grouping of 3 attached condos, we're the only unit with a parking area. the other 2 go right to the street.
      And yes, we've been going to afternoon movies, too, which probably part of it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.