Saturday, July 1, 2023

Bunnies and Bragging Gone Bad


 

 

I suspect this cutie with the counterfeit expression of innocence is the one who munched the tops off of my daisies.

I just hope the plant decides to give it another try and will produce blooms later.

          I had another epiphany the other day -  After a recent conversation with a new acquaintance who also had ties to Arlington, VA, where I grew up, I realized I’d better stop regaling people with my tales of hanging around the Senate family gallery during my middle school days. It’s one thing to have fun stories of flirting with the Senate page boys from the balcony or riding the subway that serves Congress.

 And fine, so you went to school with someone whose uncle was a senator, but if you don’t want people to figure out your age, you’d better not mention that the person you had lemon meringue pie with at age 13 in the Senate dining room was Hubert Humphrey.

 

10 comments:

  1. That's cool! I wonder when it became a thing for people to not be willing to say their age? Isn't that weird? Maybe that notion came from Hollywood, back in the day of youth and beauty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have listened to my mother, who always said her attempts to lie about her age fell flat due to an inability to figure out the math.

      Delete
    2. 😂 I feel better knowing I’m not the only one. I fudged for a web site and when I had to enter my DOB to reset my password, I kept getting locked out because I could not recall if I fudged about the month, date or year.

      Delete
  2. Now that I have turned eighty, I like to let people know how old I am. It's not that they can't figure it out by all my wrinkles, but since nobody likes to tell, I feel like becoming a contrarian! It is even sorta cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care about my age - but don't celebrate birthdays if I can avoid it. Captain Inconsistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I don't want the fuss, but I'm always in favor of presents.

      Delete
  4. I never worried about telling people my age, but my mother was 26 for a good number of years, then 36 for a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older I get, I find, the more vague I often am about my age a la "I graduated HS in the 80s; I'm in my 50s..." - easier than just stating the actual number. Makes it seem farther away than it actually is from 60.
    In your case, I'm thinking "lemon meringue pie with a senator" might possibly distract from the age thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I'm easily distracted by any mention of food.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.