Friday, November 25, 2022

Tag You're It

 


My only contribution yesterday was two pies and a bottle of wine.

 Bliss, after 45+ years of being Thanksgiving central. I was always grateful I was a teacher when the official marathon of cooking began, because I’d get a half day on Wednesday. You know the drill – digging out dishes, setting the table, making pies, cleaning bathrooms, prepping rooms for overnight guests, and on, and on until you get up the next morning and really get to work.

          My Thanksgiving wardrobe had to be comfortable enough for a day that started early and ended late, festive enough for the event, but not so fancy that it couldn’t survive grease splatters, and not too warm since I’d be wrestling a 15 pound turkey from oven to table, followed by dish scraping and pot washing. Sisyphus reborn.

          I did feel a tinge of guilt yesterday, seeing my son gnashing his teeth over a turkey that refused to get done, and the piles of dishes, and the struggles to find enough plasticware to accommodate all those leftovers. But I sucked it up and poured myself another glass of wine, and watched grandchildren gallop through the dining room, high on sugar and the excitement of so many people.

          Next year to our daughter’s, and so it will go.

          The torch has been passed.

11 comments:

  1. Long may that torch blaze. In other hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't know it yet, but they are as good at this as we were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a lot of work (prepping) followed by a lot of work (clean up).There are families here that do the same at Christmas, not my family, and fewer these days than in the past. It's usually too hot here for all that cooking so there's a swing towards barbecues and salads, much easier I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius idea. If only our climate was more cooperative.

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous! At 71, my husband and I are still Thanksgiving central. I never know if I'm going to muster the energy needed, but once I get started, I can't stop. By the time dessert was served, I just wanted them all to go home so I could go to bed. Still, best meal of the year and a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the way I operated - and felt afterwards!

      Delete
  5. Our torch just got extinguished, not passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very restful. At the house we were at, a shirttail relative's tiny dog was on the table at one point (granted, after most of the dishes were cleared).

      Delete
  6. It's an important rite of passage for adult children to take on one or more of "the big meals". My Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter meals over these many years haven't always been perfect, and I did have a shock and horror moment when I realized I had accidentally forgotten to turn the oven back on when I was adjusting the temperature one year. Good for them taking this on and I hope everyone enjoyed your pie! Have a lovely weekend. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had at least two Thanksgivings in which we hacked the turkey apart and shoved it in the microwave to avoid eating raw poultry.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.