Monday, November 21, 2022

A Random Act

A complete stranger ran fingers through my hair this morning.

          Sadly, it’s not what you think.


          There I was, in my usual Monday morning old-people-aerobics-and strength-training class, lifting my purple 3-pound weights up and down, and suddenly someone was at my elbow. She began batting at my head, saying, “There’s a wasp on your head!”  I was bobbing and she was batting, and I finally pulled out my pony tail and the two of us flapped at my hair until another nearby woman pointed across the gym said, “It’s gone. I saw it fly off over there.”

 

          It was something of an anticlimax 20 minutes later when a woman to my left came over and said, “I don’t think it was really a wasp. I saw a piece of dark string or something fall out.”

 

          I do comb my hair from time to time, I swear.

 

          And of course, all this brings us to those 1960s days of ratting your hair and AquaNet hair spray. Do you remember the urban myths about things found in the ‘dos of women who never brushed out their hair?

 

13 comments:

  1. Didn’t Robbie Burns write a poem about a mouse in a woman’s hair? I shouldlooked it up, but I m pressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, he wrote To a Mouse. I know that one, and it’s not what I am thinking. Ah well, I am probably just dreaming. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And off to Google I went: Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie

      Delete
  3. Those are nothing to the stories of eighteenth century ladies with mice nesting in their huge powdered hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine the headaches they probably dealt with.

      Delete
  4. Never did the rat business on my hair but know lots who did. No telling what they could have found in there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, there were different ranges of hair-ratting as I recall. The most bouffant usually belonged to the "hoody" girls, who hung out with the tough boys.

      Delete
  5. Well, good hygiene is a mighty new concept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never ratted my hair, it was untidy enough already, being extremely dry from being at the beach all the time. This was the days before I learned about hair conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the split ends that back-combing caused probably kept many a hairdresser in business.

      Delete
  7. What an odd experience and glad that no one got stung or worse yet broke and ankle tripping over weights on the way out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.