Saturday, June 26, 2021

Flora Yesterday, Fauna Today

     When we moved from our house to this condo four years ago, I thought I’d find not only less to vacuum, but peace. Peace from the bats in the bedroom, mice in the basement, 1 snake that showed up next to the basement toilet, endless bugs that slipped through the poorly-fitting screens, and the legions of spiders that co-habited with the other basement residents. Not to mention the playmates the cats brought in to chase merrily through the house: moles, voles, baby bunnies, and 1 bird.

     Apparently the wildlife of our town is not done with me.


     My view from my computer desk in the bedroom is a pleasant vista of our woods and the shepherd’s crook that holds the hummingbird feeder, which is also a popular spot for other birds to hang out and catch their breath once in a while. Except this inquisitive pair didn’t seem to know when to leave.

    
First there was one.

Who worked her (?) way up my screen to the top of the window.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


     Her mate must have thought this a fine idea, too.

"So. . . Whatcha doin" ?"
     I suspect they’ll soon be making a nest in the gutter above.

 

7 comments:

  1. I'm surprised they climbed the screen to reach a gutter they could fly to. Perhaps they see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any day now I'll be like Cinderella, with birds chirping on my finger.

      Delete
  2. "So...Whatcha doing?" I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gotta luv a visit like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They may be eating bugs from around the screens? We have little birds that flutter up to the windows and nibble insects from the window trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These seemed more like the mountain-climbing species of finches. They pretty much just kept scrabbling up the screen. I worried they might get their little feet caught, as I'd seen my cats do in the past, but they scaled it just fine.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.