Sunday, May 30, 2021

Cold and Naked

After patting myself on the back for remembering to switch the heating system from winter to summer, I’m regretting my efficiency.

Last Wednesday’s temps hovered around 88 and I worried about walking the dog – who desperately needed a haircut – in all that heat.


This morning the one hand not tucked under the old quilt hand-sewn by my Oklahoma great-granny was close to frozen.

Ah, New England! We’re on the second day of steady rain and I’ve decided to pretend I’m living in England. Maybe my water-logged plants will embrace this weather and I’ll have a garden as lush as those you find in the UK. I did finally bring in the potted plants onto the porch, although the bigger ones will just have to tough it out.

Massachusetts’ Covid restrictions lifted yesterday and I pity people who are trying to celebrate Memorial Day and an opening world with backyard events. Our three-year-old twins are due for a visit tomorrow and I’m hoping, hoping that the morning rain never comes.

Meanwhile, after a search that makes Stanley’s hunt for Livingstone pale in comparison, I found a new dog groomer. Now Mamie no longer looks like something to which you could attach a mop handle and use to buff the floors. You know, just in time for wet, 40 degree walks outside.

I loved the place I took her – clean, friendly, well-run – although there was one snag. When we got home and I took off the silly kerchief they’d put around her neck, there was no collar. Gone. I’ve called and in theory they’re looking for it, and I’ll bet she’s enjoying going au naturel. Except she’s a quiet little dog anyway, and without the tippy-tappy of unclipped nails and the jingle-jangle of her collar, it’s like having Cato from the Pink Panther creeping around.



 

 

10 comments:

  1. Well, that is a nuisance. Next time I guess you'll have to remove her collar before she's groomed. No picture of the new Mamie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was curled up tightly in her bed when I wrote this and was interested in posing.

      Delete
  2. I hope the collar can be found - and am very glad that you found a groomer.
    Good luck with your Memorial Day celebrations - I hope the weather is kind to you (and the twins).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is a beauty. Do you know when your aunt made it? I can ask my sister, who is an old quilt sleuth, to date the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point these quilts, sewn all by hand, were so common in our family that I remember my mother sunbathing in the backyard on them. Now I only have the one, and it's probably museum-worthy. I'm pretty sure my great-grandmother made mine, and I do know the material was just leftovers from other sewing projects. My grandmother Lucy's claim to fame was being the first white woman in that particular part of Oklahoma (then Texas) territory.
      This quilt has had several of my grandbabies on it as they rolled around on the floor. I figure it's to be used, not hidden away.

      Delete
  4. good groomers are a treasure. We went through a few, one came to the house , had a van equipped with everything a groomer ever dreamed of. That was nice for a while until she insulted the dog and he ran from her every time. Not a good sign. Won't that be fun seeing your babies again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the collar gets found. I've often envied the lush greenery in the UK, but I know I couldn't live with that amount of rainy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you are getting rain with the cold. It has been cold and bone dry here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, Cato, that is a blast from the past. Seems you are settling in. It was cold and wet here, but now getting the sun we want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Joanne, really nice quilt. well, collars are cheap but the tags are not.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.