Monday, May 31, 2021

Yet another brave new world


Another gray day, but I’m hoping for afternoon sunshine. It’ll probably arrive about the same time our twin granddaughters leave. Of course.

     Yesterday I made a run to the grocery store to load up on fruit, juiceboxes, and - for their ride home -two of those iconic little red boxes with animal crackers inside. Sadly, they no longer have the nifty ribbon to carry them by. The store was a weird experience.

     When I walked in wearing my mask, half of the people were masked and half were not. Massachusetts has lifted its Covid restrictions, although I don’t know the policy of this particular store (stores still have the right to set their own expectations). Even a few of the workers were unmasked. And there was no noticeable demographic. Young trendy guys were masked, sensible ladies of a certain age were not. A young father went by with two under-5ish kids – all masked. Did I feel silly in mine? Sensible? I debated about taking mine off since I feel perfectly safe without it, but probably in a bow to peer pressure, left it on.

     Now I need to go make Snickerdoodles before everyone gets here.

 

6 comments:

  1. We have the same situation going on around here, too. Costco lifted its mask mandate, but more than half the people inside are still wearing theirs. I am, too. I feel safer with it on, even though I am fully vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masks were not a requirement for my city (except in limited situations). However we still see some people who continue to mask up - and demographics don't appear to have a part to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No mask choice here, which I prefer. We're all in this together, or should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved those animal cracker boxes with the ribbon! Maybe the older people weren't wearing masks because they'd been vaccinated, but the younger ones hadn't yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I probably have no reason to wear mine now. However, I think it makes everyone who does wear one, half of us anyway, more comfortable. And, most of the stores I enter do require a mask.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are wise to still stay masked. I keep packets of the disposable sort handy in case I need them in the future. We still get outbreaks here, not in my state, but across the border and it's a new variant, so we are all being wary.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.