Wednesday, February 17, 2021

The Leftover and Defrosting Conundrum


     I might as well be rubbing two sticks together for fire to cook my woolly mammoth haunch. The unthinkable has happened. Our microwave has zapped its last. Oh sure, the light still goes on and the turntable spins – a new entertainment source if you’re weary of your TV – but nothing else happens. The chicken stays frozen, the butter unmelted, the popcorn unpopped.

     This is especially annoying because the thing is only four years old and is used just 4 months out of the year. When I whined this to the nice lady at the appliance store, she asked if we unplugged it when we’re away. (No.) She suggested that with the bevy of Florida thunderstorms every summer, it was possible a power surge had weakened our machine.

     I’m reminded now of the intricate prep I went through back in the day when I worked 3 to 11 a few nights a week and had to leave dinner for two kids and My Guy, who still finds it challenging to find the stove with both hands. It’s 1980 all over again.

     Oh, and the new one won’t be available for two weeks.

 

7 comments:

  1. Sigh.
    Of course it will be two weeks before you can get a replacement. It is a rule - designed for maximum inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had this happen, but my imagination hurts for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the grand scheme of life, I should be grateful if this is my biggest problem. Somehow we all managed to feed our selves before and had enough brains to move dinner from the freezer to the fridge the night before.

      Delete
  3. The thing about a wooly mammoth haunch is once you get that thing skinned and cooked, you've got warm wraps forever and enough food for weeks at a time. with a nice big snowbank to store the meat it should keep quite well. Your only real problem is finding enough sticks to keep the fire going. (cheesy grin here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! I'll send your suggestion along to Texas. They can use it about now.

      Delete
  4. We had one mw that didn't last long, but others have gone on and on since we got our first, I guess more than 4 decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn! It is amazing how indispensable that microwave has become in our daily lives. I hope you get through this without too much problem.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.