Friday, February 19, 2021

Outcasts and Outside

 Funny how being a writer can turn you into someone others might give a wide berth to on a sidewalk, Covid or no Covid.

There I was today, on my way home from my morning walk, repeating over and over, “Boo, Big, Outside, Pariah.” These were all random thoughts that had crossed my mind and I wanted to get them down on paper (or actually computer) before I lost them. And yes, I know I could have used Siri to record them but that still doesn’t come naturally to me and I was also semi-listening to the radio talk show Potus.

          “Boo” and “Big” I’ll leave for another day.


 

First, Pariah.

I was surprised and really disheartened after a recent conversation (safely distanced) with a couple of neighbors. Of course the topic came up of who’s got the vaccine, who’s getting the vaccine, and when we’re getting it.

One (who’s looking forward to her second shot) person’s daughter is a nurse who refuses to get the vaccine. Another member of the group said that due to an extreme reaction to the shingles shot, she won’t get the vaccine either, supposedly on doctor’s advice. Someone else said that another neighbor – a person with his doctorate – also doesn’t plan to get it. His justification seemed to lean toward plain old anti-vaxing bugaboos. 

 What does the future hold in this regard? Will people who refuse simply cancel each other out as they inevitably become infected and survival of the fittest kicks in? Will their options in life diminish if proof of vaccine becomes a thing? Will they become society’s pariahs if we all separate into camps of those who have been vaccinated and those who have not? And more importantly, will they become carriers, the Typhoid Marys of this century?

One thing I'm sure of - I plan to give these types a wider berth than I might have gotten for my sidewalk mutterings.

The second thought, Outside, is from an interview I’d just heard while walking. I can’t remember who the speaker was, but I wonder if they’ll catch me when I steal it for my next book. It’s perfect for my exercise-phobic main character.

          Outside is where you go to get to the next inside.

 

 

 

 

19 comments:

  1. I would be happy to take one of their vaccinations for myself, as I am still waiting. I had an appointment but it was canceled because the weather caused delays, and I'm living in the Pacific Northwest, where the weather has been normal, or almost so. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't you also say, "Inside is where you go to get to the next outside?" Maybe if you're the outdoorsy type?

    I don't understand anti-vaxx people, but my thinking is that it's basically Darwin at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to ask them how they'd feel about getting a big fat dose of polio. My uncle had it badly as a child, resulting in being lame for the rest of his life. My mother (who also had polio)carted us to the doctor the instant the vaccine became available.

      Delete
  3. Love that second thought. Though I emphatically don't share it. Outside is where I go to gather my thoughts (such as they are).
    In my eyes people who refuse the vaccine should be avoided. Mind you, since I believe it will be July before I get my first shot I am hoping that their refusal bumps me up the queue. Which means that I am both selfish and inconsistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I would likely avoid them anyway. I can't imagine spending a moment with anyone who thinks like that.

      Delete
  4. Just got off the phone with my neighbor and she was moaning that while she is getting her shot today, only one grandchild and zero children plan to. Don't understand it. Wonder if we will be the only ones left? Hey, I'm not going back to work:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is shaping up to be a horror movie with survivors (who got the shot) versus the rest, who are steadily infecting each other.

      Delete
  5. I bet all those anti-vaxxers got all sorts of vaccines when they were babies which is why they don't have polio or smallpox or diptheria for example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm a bright sider. Enough will be vaccinated to negate the fools who will never understand why they weren't infected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a kinder person than me. I just want to shake them.

      Delete
  7. There are some very strange people when it comes to vaccination and health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that final quote. I plan on getting vaccinated just as soon as I can, I'm in the third tier of people, those between 50 and 70 years old. our vaccine roll outs begin on Monday with front line and healthcare workers first, then aged people over 70.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder how all this is affecting people who are vain and lie about their age.

      Delete
  9. I guess tis wouldn't apply there, but I think that in Canada, those who opt not to be vaccinated should be told that they will not be eligible for future medical funding that is a COVID related issue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope they don't plan to travel as getting on a plane may be difficult in the future. I don't understand why they wouldn't want to take the vaccine, if not for themselves then for others...maybe they will all die out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.