Sunday, February 14, 2021

Not-so-open doors


     The church I pass on my morning walk looks to have a hefty congregation, if the parking lot is any indication. I have no idea what their strategies, if any, are regarding Covid and distancing. 

It seems to be active in the community, spreads over several buildings, and sits on a very large stretch of property. In today’s construction-mad environment, it’s remarkable they haven’t sold off an acre or two.


     I does make me wonder, though, when I pass this sign at the edge of their land near a shopping center, what the current ecclesiastical views are on the idea of sanctuary. 


 

 

10 comments:

  1. I don't imagine that they're harbouring anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha Yes, that is CHURCH! Somewhere along the line they lost the memo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know nothing about that church. That picture you posted at the end... I think that was the Crusades. Wonder if anybody survived that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sign actually is forbidding horseback riders and ATV riders from crossing their property. Since both are pretty rough on turf, no wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, although it's more likely to be discouraging people from wandering over from the shopping area it sits next to. There are occasionally homeless people there. Although there are ranches a few miles away with horses and open land, this is on a busy street.

      Delete
  5. Sadly I believe that few churches offer sanctuary these days. How glad I would be to be proved wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing the no trespassing is to discourage campers who would litter and generally trash the area as well as lighting campfires. I'm also wondering why the church needs all that empty acreage, for a future cemetery?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does seem a bit stingy, but then again, I could see why they wouldn't want ATV's racing around on their grass. Probably a huge insurance liability, for one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe they like the idea of communal sickness? As in coughing, spitting, hearty singing, all done well in a large open space.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.