Sunday, February 21, 2021

Boo!

(One more of the topics that rambled through my mind as I was walking the other morning.)


As a high school teacher in the heart of the city, most of the kids didn’t look much like me. Still, in spite of different ethnicities, big spans of age, and cultural disparities you find connections as the year wears on. On more than one occasion, someone would greet me with, “Hey Boo! How ya doing, Miss?” (Married or not, young or old, we female teachers were usually addressed as ‘Miss.’)

Had they watched a steady diet of old Yogi Bear reruns filled with his sidekick BooBoo?  Was this a racist reference to my pale skin and tendency to burn?

 I never really knew what they meant, but finally decided it wasn’t an insult.  The other day this memory came back to me and I finally looked it up.

     One source said that it harks back to the French word ‘beau,’ and the French colonization of the Caribbean islands, where the word worked its way into the Afro-Caribbean language. This made sense to me, since I taught a fair number of Jamaican kids and others from various islands. In today’s urban slang, it’s often used between friends and family members, the same way you might call someone ‘honey.’ So apparently, it’s a term of endearment.

     At the time I had a feeling it wasn’t very dignified, and I tried to discourage it, but I still found it endearing.

 

10 comments:

  1. That's rather odd, I think, to address someone they don't know like that. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as a teacher, you handled it perfectly, discouraging, but privately accepting and enjoying the greeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of my students were just plain sweet.

      Delete
  3. As a teacher of aboriginals I missed some of what they were saying. What I did appreciate was that they did support me .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you finally found out what they were saying - and it is most definitely sweet. And a tribute to your teaching (and to you).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo seems an odd term of endearment, but as long as the kids were nice as well as polite, I'd take it and not worry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would have thrown me a bit also but I think Joanne nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard that. Definitely seems dubious for a teacher! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning boundaries would have been a useful subject to add to the curriculum.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.