Thursday, November 12, 2020

Fighting off the Covid 15

I’m a little creaky this morning, and I’m happy about it.

It’s not late-blooming masochism, just evidence that a few forgotten body parts got some exercise.

          For the first time since last fall, I entered my YMCA. They’ve been open for a while, but group exercise still sounded too chancy even if they did limit it to eight people. This week, though, they moved the class to the gym, with it’s 35+ foot ceiling. 

We wore masks on the way in, brought our chair to a designated spot, cleaned our chairs, and then removed masks for the session.

          One problem – since the numbers are so limited (this is a class that used to routinely have about 50 people in it), we have to register the day before. They did ratchet up the number to 14, but this morning I’m still poised at my computer for the 10 o’clock opening bell like a settler waiting at the Oklahoma border for the 1889 land rush. 


 (P.S. - I logged on to the YMCA site at 10:01, ran into registration difficulties, sorted them, and by 10:04 the class was full. It appears this is going to take split-second timing. Next up: waiting an hour for the 11:00 class registration. Good grief.)

 

11 comments:

  1. Love that a way has been found. I hope you CAN join the next session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to do some mild exercise at home, but I do miss the group setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am appreciating that I feel no guilt NOT going to the gym- covid has bailed me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too miss my classes at the local Y. I registered to attend a workout room, where five people at a time are allowed in. You can only register a day in advance, and it is the same thing: timing is everything. Hope you got into the next class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the Oklahoma border/settler rush analogy. I need to brush up on my American history...
    Half a century ago I studied Modern American History, a new subject for Australian students at that time.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you studied American history; I know deplorably little about the history of Australia.

      Delete
  6. I'm generally a brave enough person, but this round of Covid has me leery. I'm hanging back from everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you a bit. Just read this morning about some idiot mother who was arrested for refusing to wear a mask to a school board meeting. Granted, that was in Florida, which is a whole 'nother level of crazy.

      Delete
  7. I was somewhat motivated earlier, in the summer, when daughter and I would go for long walks. The motivation has waned again. Good for you!!! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my pet peeves is trying to compete for things like this. When I lived in NYC and a Broadway show was super-popular, I never even tried to see it, because I just couldn't face scrambling for tickets!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.