Thursday, October 15, 2020

To the Top

The other day we decided to go out for lunch – or actually up.

          We stopped for sandwiches and then aimed the car to the top of Mount Holyoke, part of the Skinner State Park, which spreads over the towns of Hadley and South Hadley here in Massachusetts.  You can hike up to it, over trails or by way of the road that winds to the top, 443 feet up. My Guy and I did once manage to go by foot, but this time we motored up – just out of consideration for the dog, of course.


          We had a chilly lunch until we saw the light -literally – and moved into the sun.

          Besides the great views is the Prospect House, a hotel built in 1851.



The first tramway in New England was built here, first to transport supplies for the hotel and then the guests themselves. In those days, when even a train ride was novel, the idea of a mechanical conveyance to get you up the side of a mountain was a very big deal indeed. 

However, the original owner must have had plenty of vision but not as much business acumen because at one point he sold off hotel furniture to pay back debts. The hotel changed hands in 1869 and at one point stretched to 44 guest rooms and a  200 seat dining room.

          In 1908 it changed hands again, bought by a local industrialist, J.A. Skinner. After a drop in popularity and a 1938 hurricane, parts were torn down. Skinner ultimately gave it to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, asking only that the park, now with 40 miles of hiking trails, be named after him. Happily, the building was restored a few years ago.


 

 

11 comments:

  1. There would be some spectacular views from that hotel. I doubt that my aging and recalicitrant body would get up there on its own though. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. That's why we drove up.
      It was interesting that time we walked (several years ago!): The hike up was challenging, but what was painful was walking down. I guess our "down" muscles were not as fit.

      Delete
    2. Yes. I find down very challenging. Often. Some days gravity is not my friend.

      Delete
  2. Does or did that tramway run in the last century? I can remember riding one, somewhere in the east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im pretty sure it’s been gone for many years. The idea of it fascinates me.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy the building was restored and the park kept. I should get out and start walking again. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite an impressive view! I knew Mount Holyoke is a college, but I don't think I knew it's also an actual mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To further confuse things, Mount Holyoke College (alma mater of Emily Dickinson) is not in the city of Holyoke, but is in South Hadley.

      Delete
  5. It has quite a history, but its future seems to be assured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed looking at the old photos, and seeing the present day place. Thank you for sharing it with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a magical place with a colorful history. They should do a movie on this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.