Monday, October 12, 2020

Creative Living

I will always attest to the value of a good vacuum.

          Oh sure, the dog hides when it comes out because she sees it so rarely, and the rugs could certainly use a few more visits from it. But my vacuum has been invaluable over these many years of home ownership.

          Having grown up in the south, and therefore with an oversized skittishness about insects (also oversized there), many’s the time I’ve employed the long arm of my vacuum the suck up a Kong-sized waterbug or centipede.

          Then there was the time in our last house when I opened the lid of the washing machine only to find two beady mouse eyes staring up at me. Yes. Vacuum to the rescue again.


          Yesterday I congratulated myself for finally cleaning the bathroom sink drain. What I pulled out of there would make a Maine coon cat envious. Problem was, I didn’t re-connect the drain plug thingy to the up/down control thingy. Result: when I closed the plug today it sealed with the finality of Fort Knox.

          Tiny flat-tipped screwdriver – nothing.

          Large sewing pin – nothing.

          Visions of calling our good friend Lenny the plumber crossed my mind.

          If only there was some way to teleport the plug up.

          You guessed it. 


          Easy peasy.

 

5 comments:

  1. A big hooray for vacuums. And lateral thinking.
    Jazz LOATHES the suck monster and punishes us each time it appears. Years back I had to take a teaspoon of vacuum contents to an allergist. What I took to him was dirty cat hair. Of the ten most common allergens the only ones I am not sensitive to are cat and dog hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I wonder if my vacuum cleaner could have done that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never think to use a vacuum for that. We don't have plugs like that anyway, not in older homes, some fancy hotels might.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! I laughed when I saw how you figured out the problem. But I still feel bad about the mouse. You are nothing if not enterprising. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.