Saturday, November 30, 2019

Post Turkey


With the usual epic number of leftovers, it occurred to me this morning that having my physical a week before Thanksgiving was a stroke of brilliance.
I’ve pretty much polished off the pecan pie single-handed and the amount and variety of cheese still in the fridge would skyrocket the cholesterol LDL numbers of the fittest athlete. Which I am not.  

          Note to self. There is a difference in the amount of food needed for four adults as opposed to 12, so no, 10 cups of stuffing is not necessary. And if your guests are basically vegetarian most of the year, the smallest turkey is the best turkey.

          Thanksgiving this year was a quiet one. I didn’t even bother with dragging out the “good” dishes, which I think is one of the key reasons why holidays seem like such a production. With just son, delightful DIL, and insanely cute twin grandgirls, we ate our cranberry sauce out of Tupperware and dished up our plates from the stove, and were perfectly happy.  Mamie dedicated herself to strategic positioning beneath the girl’s high chairs, which lessoned the cleanup off the dropcloth beneath them by half.

          I’ve done the white tablecloth, bone china route for decades and decades and that was fine, but this was, too. Anyway, the girls likely would have whipped the tablecloth to the floor on their first toddle through the kitchen.

          On another high note, overbuying food (as I always do for all company) will really pay off since we have a whopper of a snowstorm arriving tomorrow. I went to Home Despot today with a return and the place was dotted with grim-faced people buying snow blowers. I’m looking forward to sitting in my condo watching other people clearing my sidewalk.

11 comments:

  1. Your Thanksgiving may have been quiet, but it sounds delightful. And yes, I hear you on the overbuying food front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with the other people thing. Cleaning the walks. Plowing the snow. Mowing the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the fancy dancy stuff takes away some of the fun for celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have always served our plates from the stove. I don't know anyone at all who puts serving dishes on the table to be passed around so people can get servings. unless it's a giant salad bowl or platter and even then sometimes the side salads are served from the bench and carried to the table so a giant bowl or platter doesn't have to be passed around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People of a certain age have good dishes, but they seldom get used any more, and no one will want them when we're gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I'm knee-deep in three sets of bone china (hand me downs) and that's after getting rid of two others.

      Delete
    2. I have a set and a partial set of old china that I can't even give away. Both sets have the gold rim popular so long ago and are not microwave or dishwasher safe. Nobody wants things that need such delicate handling, which is perfectly understandable, but what do I do with them? They'll stay packed away in my shed and if I ever move I may just leave them there.

      Delete
  6. we don't do fancy although when the kids were young we did a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful post! I didn’t pull out the tablecloth this year, either. The food was just as good 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did the good china and crystal... etc. but it may have been for the last time. Food was good, but would have been good even on paper plates. It's an old tradition that seems to be going out. Sad, but a sign of the times. Things change. Definitely will be easier. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.