Thursday, November 28, 2019

Burglars and Turkeys







Notice anything?

   





       Yes, the grandtwins are coming, these being the under-two set. After much moving of things to higher real estate and squirreling away of things into drawers, our house looks like it’s been visited by some really inefficient – or short – burglars.

          The gate is installed at the top of the basement stairs and the electric outlets all have anti-tiny-wet-finger plugs. The floor lamp is barricaded into a corner, and the table lamps will soon have their cords wrapped around their middles. I hope the sun comes out soon – heaven help you if you plan to read the paper.

          Of course, my first rodeo with grandchildren has been three boys, which may make this visit seem like skipping through a field of daisies. Then again, we’ve never had two 18-month-olds at the same time.

          Everything is ready, though. All the fixin’s were assembled yesterday, and all I need to do is park the turkey in the oven. I hope. I haven't paid much attention to the efficiency of the 2nd fridge in the basement, where the bird has been waiting. The fridge came with the condo and I pretty much only use it to store soda. On the plus side, my son and delightful DIL are vegetarians most of the time, so even if the turkey goes wonkey we’ll still be fine.

          Meanwhile, my daughter in New Jersey is hosting family from that neck of the woods. I’ve been receiving intermittent questions about turkey cooking, stuffing pre-cooking, and how to tell if the pecan pie is done. After 45+ years of this, I forget how much experience I take for granted.
        

Happy 
   Thanksgiving !

7 comments:

  1. my daughter hosts Thanksgiving dinner and for that I am very thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a holiday requiring marathon cooking to make you appreciate others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We decided to "do" Thanksgiving on Saturday, so we could visit friends and eat out today. It's cold and clear, but a wonderful day for remembering all to be grateful for. Have a great day (and bird!). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't cooked TG in many years as family either wants to travel or wants to eat at their house! So if someone called for info on cooking something I would have to say I had forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly seem fortified against eighteen month olds, so happy thanksgiving to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope it went well and is going well if the visit is still ongoing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.