Monday, June 23, 2014

Renaissance Retirement




Renaissance
 : the period of European history between the 14th and 17th centuries when there was a new interest in science and in ancient art and literature especially in Italy

: a situation or period of time when there is a new interest in something
 that has not been popular in a long time

: a period of new growth or activity   -- Bingo! That's the one!


I thought yesterday, not for the first time, that my guy and I definitely have this retirement thing figured out. I’m midway in my third year away from teaching and he’s in his fourth year away from his job. (Although it was hard to determine when he actually quit, since as a consultant, his clients would still call even after he was “retired.”)
I’m happy to say I have absolutely no idea what’s going on at the high school where I taught for over ten years. And I’ll edit the occasional cover letter for a nephew, but I have no desire to keep my hand in by tutoring or teaching a night class.
We’ve both taken up new endeavors. Yesterday we were both on the porch, I with my laptop and he with his paintbrush.
I’m working on my second book (yes, the other one is still festering somewhere in a dark corner of an agent’s office) and after several other pretty darn successful paintings, he’s started his first big landscape. 

Stay tuned for updates on his progress and to see who finishes first. 
(My money’s on him, by the way.)

8 comments:

  1. This is exciting; I know both of you will cross the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you two. I want to try painting. I took a writing class with a bunch of loser teens at Community College. That was enough of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky and found a delightful group at the museum in the city. (Granted, I have to pay :(
      I also formed my own group for fiction writers (since the one at the museum is mostly memoir) at the library here in town.

      Delete
  3. Good for you both! Who has time to write or paint or sew with a full time job! I have enjoyed every minute since I retired. You both are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not too sure about the talent - the products will determine that - but we sure are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice going! redefining yourself and pursuing whole new interests. What a grand retirement idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, you're the best kind...a retired teacher! I've been retired for 17 years after teaching for 37 years. Retirement is great. I did miss the kids for a few years but I went on field trips with them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.