Thursday, February 29, 2024

Power and Plants

 I was on the phone with our daughter in New Jersey who, after an onslaught of wind and plunging temps, is without power and therefore heat. Kindness made me avoid revealing that I was sitting on our porch in my jammies.

Afterwards, it seemed like a good idea to check our thermostat at home in Massachusetts. She Who Must Not Be Named had been interrupting our day yesterday with ominous alerts of high winds in our area back there, too.




So that’s not good.



I texted a friend who lives in the same complex back home and she said they’d been without power briefly, but all was good.

Hopefully, we’re just having an internet snafu and the heat is still chugging along.      Hopefully.  . . .



On a happier note, here are some sights from yesterday’s stroll around our condo area here in Florida’s version of winter:






The hibiscus is moderately happy, producing about one
flower per bush.








It’s still surprising to me to see poinsettias (although a little scraggly) in the ground instead of a pot.

















And here’s a plant that always reminds me of my mother – she always had one
growing near a window.






And it’s good to see the fish in our ponds are busy making circles in the sandy bottoms to plant their eggs.   Spring!



5 comments:

  1. It took me a while to adjust to living in Central Florida. The politics, the relentless sun, the utter flatness, the humidity. But after 10 years, I have to say I love my Florida life. I miss the northern flowers, but having Florida flowers and flowering shrubs/trees, bushes, blooming for most of the year makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your daughter's electricity returns sooner than later. Cold is not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hibiscus flowers. Especially pink ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know fish did that, making circles I mean. I knew they laid eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed about the heat! Love that hibiscus.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.