Sunday, March 3, 2024

Tech Day


At 7:00 a.m. I checked the Team Reach app on my phone to see if there were enough players that day to fill a Pickleball court. We can often have 16 show up to play, but for some reason most of our regulars looked to be off doing something else, most likely entertaining company since this is when we all start opening our doors to chilly relatives from up North.

          At 7:15 I noticed I had an email from the lawyer handling my sister’s estate. He had attached a form for me to download, print, and sign before a notary.

          At 7:30 a.m. I was texting our housesitter. After a storm last week, our Nest thermostat back in Massachusetts decided to clam up and not talk to us here in Florida so we asked her to swing by.

          An hour later on the Pickleball court, I was calling my hairdresser’s HQ to see if I could get a trim this coming week. The person I usually see had no openings until April 27 (!!! A true sign of the influx of us snowbirds) but someone else was free.

          At  12 noon when I was back, our housesitter texted that she was done with her dog walking and was at our house. Once in (using our keypad), she reported that yes, we did have heat. Next, she gamely rolled up her sleeves and tackled our non-working modem while we talked her through the process on speaker phone. There was unplugging of modem and router, re-plugging of modem and router, but no soap. The internet was not to be had. I think we have a dead modem but at least we know now that the furnace is chugging along.


Consider how tedious – or impossible – much of this would have been in say, 1970.

4 comments:

  1. If you'd come from the future and told us all this in the 70's, we'd have you carted off in a straight jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the world is speeding up and careening into the ditch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, unbelievable back then. Well, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even begin to imagine managing a second house in another state.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.