Thursday, February 22, 2024

Hunting and Gathering

With My Guy off at an art workshop, I decided to go to downtown Venice, aka “the island” for a little shopping.

 Ever since 1960, when the West Coast Inland Waterway was created, the original city center has been an island, accessible only by crossing one of three bridges.








Like this one I had to pause for,

opening for a boat beneath.








Today’s History Facts :
The Waterway is part of the long Intracoastal waters, an idea that began shortly after the American Revolution when government and military leaders saw the need for a secure route of shipping along the Atlantic coast but not on the open sea. It stretches from Virginia to Florida and is maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.





As I should have expected, on a day too cool for the beach, the stores were awash with people. Downtown is basically three streets, three blocks long, made of buildings never higher than two stories. Very cozy and sweet.      But I soon tired of the crowds, first picking up some tee shirts to have ready when the twin grandgirls come in April, and then I left, handing over my more-precious-than-gold parking place to the next shopper.

My day wasn’t a loss, though. Before leaving the island, I drove over to a run-down shopping center that was a gold mine of the pre-owned. There was a women’s clothing consignment shop full of fancy brands, a thrift store with proceeds going to the local animal shelter, and a Goodwill store so big it had a row of at least 8 check-out stations.








The thrift store was eclectic to say the least.

















What is this??

I did find a couple of faux candles (complete with working batteries!) for a total of $4.00.

One goal was an angel food cake pan, and I found one at Goodwill, but it was so weirdly small I’d either have to dump half the batter down the sink, or resign myself to letting it oodge out all over the oven.

11 comments:

  1. Got quite a few chuckles out of that last post. It's a... mystery. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame you live so far away. I have an angel food cake tin in near new condition that I am trying to give away but now of my family want it. I know I will never use it again, so it will have to go to a thrift shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you are with a pan, and here I am with an angel food cake mix.

      Delete
  3. I was very happy to learn about the West Coast Inland Waterway. And I do wonder what that wheeled contraption is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oodge! That's a good word. I remember "the island" vividly. I used to frequent a consignment shop on Miami Avenue called The Green Butterfly that benefitted (I believe) Venice Hospital. Not sure it's there anymore. Where's the Goodwill nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Green Butterfly now, but I wonder if it morphed into Divine Consign (don't you love the name?) that was run by a church organization. Consignment shops and thrift stores are big here. Goodwill has several locations, but the one I was at was on the way to the Circus Bridge, if you remember that.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the south bridge. I remember!

      Delete
  5. I did a ton of thrifting during Covid but have kind of gotten out of the habit lately. New reader here, also in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes like to browse thrift stores - with the promise to not bring anything home with me.
    The mystery thing - might it be for slightly paralyzed or old arthritic dog??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was wondering if it was a contraption for a dog - although it would have to be a pretty big dog.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.