Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Accessory

 

I’ve aided and abetted two more people, a kind married couple who’d never hurt a fly, I’m sure, into a world of risk and danger.

 We converged in the parking lot at the retired elementary school around the corner. I pulled two spare paddles from my bag and we marched inside to play Pickleball. They’d taken a lesson the week before, but this was their first foray playing with the big kids. It was Tuesday, though, which theoretically is a day when the 7-days-a-week play is less competitive.

Due to knee issues and my decision not to tax this aging shell more than necessary, I’d spent the summer playing golf instead, so I hadn’t hit a Pickleball since June. It was a smaller group than I’d remembered, maybe only 6 people when we arrived, but I spotted two men who, in spite of their grandfatherly auras, could put a mean spin on the ball and get to any spot on the court in a flash. One of them joined the three of us and kindly batted the ball back and forth so they could get acclimated. Then we played a real game, and even though the wife tended to send the ball arcing sideways and the husband kept hitting it into the net, they did pretty well. They must not have been frightened off because they stayed for two more games.



The age range on a Tuesday morning went from early 40s to ??? I do know that when I was sitting out waiting to play, the slim woman next to me mentioned that the family is eagerly anticipating her 2nd great-grandchild.


     That afternoon I was thrilled to see a big truck pull up in front with my new dining
table. Some might think I’m nuts to be buying a new one at this late stage in life, but I have my reasons. Unlike my old one, this one actually fits in our small dining area, and stores the two leaves within it. Now I don’t have to wrench my back out trying heave leaves out from behind the washer and stagger across the house with them.

Today I raced outside to trim back the yellowed hosta and dried-out astilbe before the landscape guys came through with their leaf blowers in the hope that they’ll be more likely to clear the leaves from my flower bed if it looks empty. 


It's a bit blustery and colder out today so tonight will be tortellini soup and homemade bread. And I think an apple cobbler for dessert.



10 comments:

  1. I don't know about pickleball, but all the rest of your adventures sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pickleball sounds dangerous. The cartoon Zits has been featuring it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny - That great-grandma and I were talking about exactly that cartoon.

      Delete
  3. That bread looks delicious!
    I read somewhere yesterday that pickleball is beginning to take off in Australia, only in the eastern states so far, but if it arrives anywhere near me, I might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I walk by a pickleball court on my daily outings, and people sure do seem to be having fun. I'll continue to watch and stay out of it for now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to find people who play at a slower level. Some around here think it's the Olympics and get too competitive.

      Delete
  5. Oh gee, that bread is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love homemade bread so much that I very rarely make it. I was an "extra-ten-pounder- sourdough" lady during Covid.

      Delete
  6. Pickleball seems to have become all the rage in recent years. I've yet to pick it up. That's a lovely loaf of bread. Happy new table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurry up and try it before your knees go (like mine).

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.