Thursday, October 19, 2023

Wish Books


 

Our mailman must have hated that time of year. I can’t remember how they were delivered; they were certainly too big to shove through the little mail slot in our front door that had the three small descending windows. 

          But somehow the new Sears and Roebuck catalogue would arrive, providing hours of dreaming, and when their first purpose of shopping had been exhausted, we’d cut out the pages and turn the pictures into paper dolls.

          Proving yet again the evil marketing genius of Amazon and that it has its tentacles everywhere, last month we received their toy catalogue. I usually save it for the two or three pages of kid mazes and games for the when the younger grandkids visit.

          When the twins were here this past weekend, I brought it out, innocently thinking they’d like to do something with the enclosed stickers. The castle originally bought for the grandboys years before and our daughter’s old Fisher Price people were instantly ignored from that moment forward. The two girls went page by page, intently scrutinizing every item and then pointing out which ones they wanted/needed.



          They even made sure it went with them for the ride back home.

          I texted my son later to apologize.

14 comments:

  1. I have not yet received a catalogue from Amazon. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I have read about this catalogue, we didn't get it or anything remotely similar. For which I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reminded me of many happy childhood hours playing with paper dolls. We got that same catalog back then, but thankfully I don't get anything remotely like that Amazon one today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a company called "Innovations" here which sends out catalogues but only if you request them. they have seasonal ones plus a bumper sized Christmas one, but it is also able to be viewed online so you don't have the worry of disposing of it later. I haven't bought anything from them for several years now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the sears Christmas catalog and the excitement it generated.
    We all poured over it,page by page.
    Sitting in front of the fireplace.All the wonderful toys and sweets.
    Alas we were very poor and wishing
    Was about all we could do.
    But what a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazon makes a paper catalogue? I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a toy catalog. It's small - just the right size to fit in little hands (crafty devils). And as I mentioned, it also has stickers, and mazes, and word searches. You know, to make all that shopping educational.

      Delete
  7. Your blog post caught my eye from Henny Penny Lane blog! We didn't have sears, but penny's. It came in late August (in my Pennsylvania childhood home) and what joy! Same with cutting out stuff afterwards. We'd take a shoe box and cut out to make a "house" out of the pictures.
    Then I read about your Aldi shopping. We stopped in today. We mostly just pick up blueberries and strawberries. But i have tried their cream cheese and did a taste test with Philadelphia cream cheese and couldn't tell the difference, except the half the cost price! And you hoa (or coa) , we've had similar problems....someone sues and costs us lots of money...actually it was a liberal board that got in but we ousted them. They used up all our reserves on wasteful stuff. I'll read on, but your writing is very good! (The site is not encrypted, but at wishbookweb.com you can see old wishbooks....it is on someone's wordpress blog. andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Andrea!
      Yes, I just wish the Aldi I went to was closer. BTW, the trout I bought there (no fish counter. It was vacuum packed, and then I froze it) was excellent, and an excellent price.

      Delete
  8. I love that your granddaughters preferred the pages over the toys. I remember those days when the Sears and Roebuck catalog would come. It kept me busy for hours at a time...just dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet, I don't think my parents ever ordered anything from it.

      Delete
    2. I understand...it was the same at our house, too. :)

      Delete
  9. I didn't know there was an Amazon toy catalog, but now thinking about it, of course there is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.