Monday, October 16, 2023

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles


 I somehow found myself in a fairly lengthy conversation with one of my neighbors at the Y this morning. I think it began with this weekend’s excitement of a tilted street pole in our complex. No information yet on how it happened; we’re here on our little island of winding streets, with everyone tootling around at about 20 miles an hour. I noticed it yesterday afternoon when walking the twins around during their Sunday visit to us. A wild Saturday night? Or, more likely, with a median age of about 75 here, one of our residents should permanently hand over his car keys to someone.

          So, I guess it was a natural transition to my friend’s dilemma with her husband. They have a time-share in Florida and in the past would drive down, taking 3 days. They then transitioned to driving just to Virginia, where you can load your car on a train for the rest of the trip. (There are too many low bridges from the north to Virginia to use the train from here) Apparently, his driving is going downhill, so she tried to convince him that they could ship their car down on a flatbed truck the full distance, and fly themselves.

          He flatly refused. And she flatly refused to drive with him.

          So she’s going to fly and he’s still driving the car to the train in Virginia.

          Aging isn’t just a simple matter of bad knees.

11 comments:

  1. Ouch. The decision to give up driving is a hard one for so many people. I hope he arrives safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true. My hubby and I have managed to compromise in most instances, but it always feels like I give in to him. Whatever keeps the peace, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Good to see a gal standing her ground, although I hope she calls his bluff and he doesn't try to do the drive himself.

      Delete
  4. Oh that is very true. Our brains change a lot and stubbornness sets in. I think I would have joined hubby because I would worry and we are always three since we have Buddy, our Down syndrome adult with us. He loves to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope he arrives safely too and perhaps soon decides that driving alone isn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave's parents are in the same boat, driving from Michigan to Florida and back. Their plan is to get a car they can leave in Florida, and fly both ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be us one day. We have an old car that we leave in Florida.

      Delete
  7. Getting old brings with it many different complications that one never thinks about when younger. Living in a place which is so car dependent makes it even harder. My mother just turned 89 and she still drives everywhere. I have ridden with her and she still does well. I am lucky that I haven't had to "take the keys."

    ReplyDelete
  8. With my husband's dementia it is only a matter of time for driving to be curtailed and I hope we do not fight too much over that!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.