Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Time and Tea


 

This morning’s epiphany happened, unsurprisingly, in the bathroom after my morning walk and shower as the body lotion and retinol face cream made its much-needed appearance. I considered the body parts I’ve lost and others like my right knee that’s getting moody.

My body may be my temple, but my focus on it and all its various parts began years ago at strengthen, and then moved on to maintain, but the operative word for the years ahead just might be retain.

 

          Out to breakfast yesterday, I realized my friend and I were careening fast to the Land of Little Old Ladies when we each took a tea bag from our purse and asked the nice waitress for hot water. In our defense, we’re both serious tea drinkers and can no more tolerate the restaurant’s Lipton than a craft beer aficionado can deal with a Miller Lite.

          The nice waitress (Veronica, by the way) said she completely understood because her mother did the same thing. Since the waitress appeared to be about 18, her mother was probably under 55, so we felt fully validated. Plus, we always leave a fat tip to make up for the tea we didn’t buy.

          Still, I have a suspicion that the only demographic that bothers to learn their waitress’s name is ours.

 

10 comments:

  1. That's really nice of you to leave her a tip for her work to make your time there a good one. I actually like Lipton. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our favorites. I'm a Red Rose Tea girl, myself!

      Delete
  2. Land of Intelligent Old Ladies, as the two of you know, whether Veronica does or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a quaint thing to do. I’ve never seen it done though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never drink tea in cafes or restaurants, preferring to wait until I get home. Out and about I stick with water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea is not tea. And increasingly I am distressed by what is served under that name. I may follow your example - if it is allowed here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of my restaurants offer a choice of tea types. I also want to know the names of my waitress/waiter, but usually forget before I return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm glad Veronica worked with you on the tea issue! Do restaurants ever refuse hot water in that circumstance, I wonder? It would be a pretty scroogy thing to do, considering how little money they make on a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I will join you in the Land of Little Old Ladies by popping a tea bag or two in my purse. Life pro tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It also goes the other way i.e cafe servers knowing the names and drink preferences of elderly lady customers. Since retiring when covid started, I walk each weekday to the local, and by the time the servers see me coming, they put my espresso on a table :)
    Hels
    Art and Architecture, mainly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.