Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Planned Obsolescence

 


Yet one more home project is keeping my kitchen appliances happy. They’ve been with us less than a year and yet they’ve settled in as some of the needier members of the household.

          First the refrigerator popped on its ‘replace water filter’ and ‘replace air filter’ lights, and today the microwave is trying to get my attention. Apparently, these things need to be changed every six months, tricky to create a schedule for since we aren’t even here for four months out of the year. I’ve decided to let the water filter slide a few months since our tap water is perfectly drinkable, so I’m not sure there’s a big need for the one for the fridge’s water dispenser.

          I need to trek down to the basement to my appliance file to learn where the heck the filter even is on the microwave and how do I reset it. (Our previous machine didn’t have one.)

          My suspicious mind wonders if appliance manufacturers took a page from the printer world. You know – where the printer for your computer is practically disposable, lasting forever but often costing less than $100, while you’re stuck into perpetuity buying ink for it at $45 a whack.

6 comments:

  1. MW filter? I am also obsolete, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no water dispenser on our fridge and no filter on the microwave either - for which you have made me grateful. Neither are young appliances and (touching on wood) both are going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me older appliances any day. Our clothes washer is probably 15 or 20 years old (came with the house) and I love it. Old fashioned top loader with the bare minimum of dials and widgets.

      Delete
  3. If your refigerator also makes ice cubes I would suggest changing the filter as required, since any sludge caught in them might find its way into the ice cubes. I can't be sure, since I don't know exactly how those things work and don't have one myself, but you should check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weird. I don't think our microwave even has a filter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.