Monday, June 26, 2023

In Summary

 Since I've been bad, bad, bad about blogging this week, perhaps I can cover my bases by hitting the high (and low) points of the past few days. 


 

We returned from that fun visit with the New Jersey branch to find this. The roofers had been busy in our absence, punching a hole in the porch screen we'd just installed last summer. 


A few days at home and we were off again, this time a day trip to the Rhode Island shore, where son and family were renting for the week. It was cloudy, but we didn't care since it meant time with the five-year-old absurdly cute twins. Oh, and we were lucky enough to join the audience for the al fresco show, which seemed to lean heavily on interpretive dance with a few gymnastics thrown in. 

     The roofers continue to grace our lives, blocking the driveway, and chatting loudly outside our windows at 6:30 a.m.  I, meanwhile, continue to travel the house straightening our artwork, which is all just a bit askew.

(One of My Guy's paintings, by the way.)

    One major accomplishment was repairing the new clothes dryer's installation. I noticed a few days ago that I was feeling warm air blowing from the side of the washer when I dried a load of clothes. Not a good thing. Our so-called laundry area is just a washer and dryer jammed into what was once a coat closet in the tiny front hall. Since I've finally achieved laundry facilities on the first floor, I'll deal with it. However, we have only inches to spare. 


      That whoosh of warm air (not to mention the lint coating that side of the closet) meant the dryer exhaust hose had come loose. Thank you, Lowe's installer. 

    So. Pull out the dryer, wriggle around it to access the back, and push the exhaust connection into the hole in the floor.  A trip to Ace Hardware for metal tape (we came perilously close to using regular duct tape, which apparently could ultimately catch fire.) and back I went behind the dryer to tape the whole shebang together.


The taping went well, except I needed to stay back there to guide the hose as the dryer was pushed in. This meant I had to climb over the appliances to get out. Not something you expect to do, deep into your Social Security years.  

Things are smoothing out a bit. This week the roofers are stomping around on top of the neighbors instead of us, the dryer fix is holding, and I got in some pickleball time this morning. 



7 comments:

  1. Busy times. Well done on the dryer fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five year old twins. Tempus fugit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to 'my' twins being five, I think they are going to be rowdy and unstoppable. I would love to have my dryer veted but it isn't possible so I go into the bathroom and wipe lint dust off all surfaces after each drying session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are your twins boys? After having three grandboys, the two girls are a definite change.

      Delete
  4. Did you see this pickleball cartoon in The New Yorker? When I saw it I thought of you!

    https://www.newyorker.com/gallery/cartoons-from-the-june-5-2023-issue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.