Monday, May 22, 2023

Caught by surprise

I finally was able to do something pretty darned exciting yesterday – laundry.

          On Thursday, My Guy informed me that something was up with the dryer, which we’d inherited from the previous homeowner, who’d lived here for 25 years or so. Sure enough, all it was willing to do was hum to itself.

 


         I dug out the receipt from the last time we’d had it repaired, only a dispiriting ten months ago, and we’d been gone for four of those months. Oh, and the bill had been over $500. Time to go shopping.

          My needs were simple: something that would dry our clothes. No computer chips, no “dampness sensing” – I just wanted a big metal box with a spinning drum and a heat element.

          I skipped the local appliance guy because I didn’t want to get talked into anything and he didn’t even carry the no-nonsense model I wanted. Off to the Big Box store, who had a truck coming in on Friday with what I wanted, and yes, it would be delivered on Sunday. Hot damn.

          The call came Saturday night as promised, with the delivery time. 10:30 to 2:30. There went the day, but fine.

          At 8:30 on Sunday morning, after ignoring two spam phone calls, I settled in.

Cozy robe, book, fresh cup of tea, toast with cream cheese and marmalade. Perfection. Hours until I had to be dressed.


          You guessed it. Two large men at the door, me with bare feet, jammies, and robe.

I disappeared to throw on clothes while they checked out our laundry space, an adaption of a coat closet by the front door.

          So. . .I’m guessing those weren’t spam calls, but at least they dug out the old dryer and maneuvered the new one into the microscopic space we have for our laundry. The whole process took about twenty minutes and I went back to my tea.

 

9 comments:

  1. And at least you weren't stuck in the house waiting through the entire delivery window. I hope your day was blissful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as you say, I wasn't trapped at home for hours.

      Delete
  2. It seems Sunday was your lucky day. New dryer, hours earlier than anticipated; up and running effortlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it does all you need. And glad you were able to resist the bells and whistles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, fewer things to need future repair

      Delete
  4. I do love a functioning clothes dryer. I don't like those tiny "laundry in a closet" areas though. I'd rather have a laundry I can walk around in, even if it is part of the bathroom as mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let’s hope the new dryer is as efficient as the delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, better early than late (or not at all). Our washer and dryer is a single machine. The drying isn't all that effective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.