Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Today

 

Our day began at the Venice airport, which sounds much grander than it is, since it really only serves a small group of planes for those with the wherewithal for rental or even ownership.

You can also take flying lessons, but perhaps the less said about that the better, since our dubious claim to fame is that this is where the 911 terrorists learned to fly.


         
We were there for none of those reasons. It was for breakfast at the small café on the airport grounds, where you can watch the occasional plane take off. You can also enjoy the background reggae as the chef, his dreadlocks filling his chef’s toque to capacity, builds your omelet.


 

 

          Oddments from my afternoon so far are two inquisitive geckos on our window and a duck wandering vaguely around on our sidewalk. 


 

 

But then again, we’re going into mating season and the geckos are multiplying daily, while the ducks are chasing each other and playing leapfrog across our little lagoon.

          The next event is this evening’s musical tribute to Eric Clapton in the Venice Art Center’s smallish event room. I am a BIG Eric Clapton junkie, so YAY!

6 comments:

  1. I like sitting and watching planes come and go but I live too far from the airport now so I just look up and watch which direction they are going when I hear them above where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are little guys to the most part, but when we go to the beach to watch the sunset, they arrive one after the other, like chickens coming home to roost.

      Delete
  2. Nice little place to hang out if you're a gecko. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little creepy - at first glance you wonder which side of the glass they're on.

      Delete
  3. When I covered the city of Venice for the Herald-Tribune (almost 30 years ago, astonishingly) I used to write about the airport all the time. That was before the notorious 9/11 hijacker period, even. I remember going fossil digging on some land behind Caspersen Beach with some fossil enthusiasts, and they were upset that the land was going to be closed off to the public. I think it may have been airport land. I still have a big fossilized scallop shell from there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life's unexpected connections never fail to astonish me. Very cool, Steve.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.