Friday, November 11, 2022

Prepping and Procuring

 

I played my last game of golf here yesterday.

The day was glorious, sunny and almost 70 degrees, and the stiff warm wind even seemed to always be blowing in the direction our balls were headed. (Not that it helped my on-again, off-again swing or my astonishingly inaccurate putting.)

          But that’s it. Today it will be warm and rainy, and tomorrow hurricane Nicole arrives to give us a visit with inundations of rain. Then chilly, chilly, to cold.

          Our little complex was a beehive of activity yesterday. The gutter guys came to powerwash the leaves away, someone was flushing the lawn sprinklers, others were patching weak spots in our roads, and – huzzah, huzzah! – the guys sandblasting and painting our bridge (the only way in) were packing up. It’s downright thrilling now to drive in without the kathump! kathump! kathump! of the three speedbumps they’d installed.

          And a few doors down there’s an estate sale. We’re only allowed to have one, when the condo is up for sale. There seems to be a steady line of cars parked in front – people from outside the complex is my guess. Most of us left pretty big houses and have had to do some serious downsizing to move here, although I will say there are a few big places, well over 2,000 sq feet.

I just know that when I’m standing in Marshall’s or Home Goods contemplating a gorgeous platter, my immediate question to myself is “And just where do you think you’re going to put that?”  I find it hard to imagine many of my neighbors sorting through the offerings down the road with an eye to bringing something back to a home already filled with two sets of grandma’s bone China.

7 comments:

  1. I wonder what will happen to all the grandma's china and porcelain people don't want to inherit. The younger generation just doesn't use fragile dishes, or linen tablecloths. You can hardly give the stuff away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. When we moved, I sold two sets of Spode from my garage, deeply grateful to the woman who bought them, and I've gotta say, looked a little unhinged. My kids are completely uninterested in my remaining bone china, and I almost never use it myself.

      Delete
  2. I don't go to those sales for exactly that reason. Once you get to a certain age, you start giving things away, not buying more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could not interest one grandchild in more than a token piece of Mom's glass and china. Eventually we donated it to the public mansion of one of the founders of Goodyear. They were so grateful! They could not make complete matching place settings around the table and had to use mismatched stuff at the back. The Siberlings had cleaned out Stan Hywet when they left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think our weather is about to turn. Sue is talking about getting the outdoor Christmas pots (with decorations) done tomorrow before the soil freezes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trouble with Grandma's bone china and delicate glassware is that it can't go in the microwave or dishwasher and no one wants to fiddle around with handwashing so much delicate stuff. No one has the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I toss it in the dishwasher anyway, gold edges and all. There's a real freedom in knowing no one will want it after me!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.