Monday, January 10, 2022

Seat of inspiration

 

          I’ve received more proof lately of the depth of my shallowness.

          Last spring I amassed four chapters of book 4 (aka Doubly Murdered), built an outline, story plan, summary, and stockpiled research on poisoning, trailer parks, disc golf, and pedestrian bridge construction. And then I stopped. Spring ended, summer drifted by, fall came and went, as did the holidays. Still I added nothing.

          Then on Saturday my new computer chair arrived, all plush and cozy. For the past four years I’ve been using a stiff dining room chair. That afternoon a couple of swivels in its tufted gray softness and the next thing I knew I’d opened the book 4 file and was on my way through chapter five. 


       Sadly, I wasn’t inspired by the intricate plotting in the Ann Cleeves mystery I just finished, or by the cast of twilight across a barren landscape. My muse came in a big brown box from Fed Ex.


          (By the way, last night I watched The Tender Bar with Ben Affleck. Not only does it leave you happy and a little sniffly, it’s a darn good story – something of a departure for a Ben Affleck production – and provides a little inspiration of its own for any aspiring writers.)

7 comments:

  1. Just shows where inspiration might just be coming from..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's called writing by the seat of your pants.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that your writing muse has deigned to return. And care not what prompted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. So funny! I always knew you had great taste.

      Delete
  4. I watched the Tender Bar and now want to read the memoir it's based on. And congratulations for having the muse return! Yay for progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chair looks lovely. Here's to many more hours and chapters being written.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.