Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Perspective

Like many other areas, it’s been pretty steamy here for these past couple of days.

90+ degree weather isn’t unusual in Massachusetts, but thankfully, it usually doesn’t hang around. In fact, by the end of the week it will average 20 degrees cooler.

          On Monday, though, schools here actually had early dismissal due to the heat, something most in the South would likely roll their eyes at. I grew up in Virginia and Oklahoma, and can still recall trying to write in school with my sweaty arm sticking to the paper.

          I guess this is the summertime equivalent of the way everything in the South grinds to a complete halt at two inches of snow, giving us tough Northerners our own opportunity to feel superior.

 

5 comments:

  1. I loathe heat (particularly teamed with humidity). I find it much easier to get warm and stay warm than the opposite. I hope your weather moderates quickly.
    Over here our forecast is for at least a dusting of snow. I hope the weather boffins are telling the truth. It is a very long time since snow has 'stuck' in my city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back then we were acclimated to heat and humidity. These children aren't. They sleep in climate controlled homes. I really don't begrudge them being sent home early or not going to school in excess heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I remember teaching in oven-like classrooms. Not a lot of work gets done in extreme heat.

      Delete
  3. I remember early dismissal days, but we had to wait for the temp to be 100F. The beach and pool were very crowded those days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always had hot, non-AC rooms when I was teaching. It was not fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.