Saturday, May 22, 2021

Holding the Line

I’m not what anyone would call a music buff,

but over the years I have gathered a few CDs. They’d provide a nice break in the car from the radio, or lighten the boredom of housecleaning. Our cars will still play them, but that’s only because we’ve owned both through three Presidencies. The shelf unit that I bought in 1997 bit the big one the other day, so My Guy unearthed a bright red portable player one of the kids gave him 20 years ago or so. 

     That lasted for about a month before it locked up, and now even my old clock radio no longer spins discs. Apparently, all CD players eventually gum up and just stop at some point.

     What to do with my CDs? I did load a few onto my phone about 5 years ago, but the laptop I used to do this has been replaced and, you guessed it, the new laptop has no slot for discs of any kind.

     Do they still make CD players? Not sure if I’d find anything better than something dredged from a garage sale, I took to the internet. And found this little gem, not much bigger than the jewel case itself.

     Now what to do with these old tapes. . . . . . 



 

 

13 comments:

  1. Everything But the Girl! SO great! I have a bag of treasured CDs that I can't bring myself to get rid of, but we only have one player (in my old computer) and when that goes they'll just be doorstops. I have them all on my iTunes, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have at least 3 albums of theirs - it's my writing music. I can play it over and over.

      Delete
  2. Now that's good music! You like some James Taylor, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Time. We live about 45 minutes from his stomping grounds in the Berkshires.

      Delete
  3. Many of us run out of time for some of these devises. I haven't listened to a CD for years. I'm scanning slides now. I'm not sure if you can get slide projectors any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Don't get me started on all the slides wasting away in the basement.

      Delete
  4. In the normal course of life we were expected to replace our tapes with CD, then our CD's with....

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are places that can convert/copy those old tapes to cd or mp3 players. I'm not sure how you'd find one where you are. I used to wonder myself why cd players didn't last long after being spruiked as the best new thing on the market. Even old cassette tape players lasted longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are going the way of records, cassettes and 8-tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I purchased a radio/CD player on Amazon. They have quite a few to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was surprised when I went looking.

      Delete
  8. I haven't played CDs in ages, but I never was much of a listener to CDs anyway. Glad you were able to find something to use to play them! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.