Saturday, April 17, 2021

Second Thoughts

Never mind Elvis Presley. Pickleball is king around here, to the
extent that finding somewhere to play sometimes sends us off searching like Ponce de Leon looking for that darn fountain. The courts here are jammed with peppy seniors, and you need to be cautious about pick-up games at the public courts, assuming you’re even invited. It can get pretty competitive amid some of those tanned and sinewy golden agers who play like they’re in the tryouts for the Olympics.

     Fortunately, the group I play with is pretty slap-happy and just grateful to be outside and still ambulatory. We’re also fortunate that we’ve been able to sponge off a couple of new acquaintances who, unlike us, have courts at their complexes.

     Yesterday the sun was blazing hot, incredibly humid, and there wasn’t a drop of shade to be had, so I was happy to sit out a game due to uneven numbers. I took a break from stamping on the fire ants that were pooling around my feet to check my phone, where I found a text and a picture of our house from our neighbor Carol back in Massachusetts.


     “Are you sure you want to come home?”

 

10 comments:

  1. The home photo looks inviting actually- soothing. I do love the north!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that your final photo speaks loudly to me. Snow or sweat is NOT a hard decision for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure would be nice to have something in between these extremes. We are having a heat spell, and the weatherman says it's 72°F with no relief in sight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you when I saw the national weather news today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snow looks very pretty but I'm not sure I'd want to go home unless it was guaranteed to melt away and not return until next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT IS GOING ON with the weather?! We're freezing cold here too. Shouldn't we all be past this by now?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I do remember snow storms in April back in the late 70s.
      Didn't appreciate them then, don't appreciate them now.

      Delete
  7. That's such a beautiful winter scene!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had major blizzards in April, the last bad one maybe 30 years ago, on the night before May 1st. We woke to the sound of a tractor plowing up our driveway, there had been a surprise blizzard overnight, left us with a good 18 inches of snow to struggle through. The painful part was, in those days we had a muddy driveway in the spring and a 1/2 mile walk to get to the cars at the bottom if we wanted to go anywhere. The Day We Brought the Cars Home was always a treat. And that year we had made plans to bring the poor things home the next day.

    Sigh.
    And yes, we used to have to backpack our groceries in from the bottom of the drive, trudge trudge trudge...

    this year it wasn't bad, an inch here, an inch there...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.