Saturday, January 9, 2021

Yes, Words Matter


 

     This has been quite the week. With the legions of people discussing, explaining, analyzing, justifying, and obfuscating, I wouldn't dream of adding my own two cents. (Whoops. Metaphor alert!)  Commentators have been working overtime, and so have the metaphors. To share just a few, these heard on the various news reports seem to track events fairly accurately.

Well under the radar

House of mirrors, poisoning followers (a mixed metaphor if ever there was one. 

Stonewalling

Tool in the toolbox 

Monkey wrench thrown into the process

Genie out of the bottle

Snowball set in motion

They're pounding on the door - Oh, wait, that's from a loan company's ad about creditors. . . . 

Rock bottom week for the GOP

Rats fleeing a sinking ship

      And some metaphors from the international outlook:

"America no longer defines the course, and therefore has lost all right to set it." (Konstantin Kosachey, chairman of the Russian upper house foreign affairs committee.) 

      But more hopefully:

"A new chapter of U.S. democracy" will begin in two weeks. (Angela Merkel)




7 comments:

  1. Words do indeed matter.
    I often curse whoever it was who penned the lie 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me'.
    Sending good thoughts to you and to your country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a week! First the joy of the Georgia runoffs, and then... at first I had a hard time looking away from the trainwreck, but now I'm hope it will be over soon and there will be no more violence in DC. For now, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching those videos was more horrifying than any horror movie. Sickening.

      Delete
  3. "A new chapter of U.S. democracy" will begin in two weeks. (Angela Merkel)
    From her lips to God's ear.
    A well mixed metaphor here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that Angela Merkel quote in our newspaper yesterday and I hope so much that it will be so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear for Biden's and Harris' lives. these people aren't through.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.