Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Thank you, Blogland

 

Being in Florida is lovely, but it’s definitely a different climate – in every sense of the word - than Massachusetts.


     Yesterday My Guy and I met up (outdoors) with some long-ago school days friends of his. They were a pleasant enough couple, but as time passed, I realized that their political views and mine were at opposite ends of the spectrum. After the events of last week, I can’t see how anyone could continue blithely with their chosen party as though our representatives - from both sides – hadn’t just been cowering under tables while a mob created by the President raged through the Capitol. But I was raised to be polite, and after suggesting that we skip politics, I just excused myself when they were still brought up, hoping the topic would be over by my return.

At first, probably like everyone, I was fascinated by the news, reading the AP, the Washington Post, CNN, and watching some of the videos of the mayhem, but I could only stand a few because they sickened me. Days later, the news also depresses me to the point where I avoid it.  This morning I only checked the headlines on line to see if anything had blown up or had been attacked and then I retreated to Blogger.

     Here my hunched shoulders can relax as I read about worlds filled with dogs, gardens, and weaving.

10 comments:

  1. https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/
    You may find heather refreshing. Her latest entry is somewhat up lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I'm a fan and subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And hiking! Don't forget hiking, which has helped to keep me sane during these terrible times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we get overloaded. I'm still trying to keep my finger on the pulse but I'm no longer totally absorbed by it. it will take time for the investigations to be completed and then Biden will be in charge and hopefully punishments will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read any news feeds today or yesterday or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I skim headlines in newspapers now too and avoid anything to do with politics from any country. Politics makes my head hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also saddens me so much when I realize I've just lost respect for someone because they've seen nothing wrong with lying, dangerous self-interest.

      Delete
  7. I do think we have to be careful what news we consume and how much. I read the news every morning, but only from my reliable sources (NYT & Guardian), and often the headlines are enough. It's always better to steer clear of politics in social situations, unless you KNOW where everyone else stands!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.