Thursday, January 17, 2019

Gherkin Games


          I’m off to try my hand at pickleball today, a game that looks to me like a junior version of tennis.



Years ago, before knees and other body parts began objecting,   My Guy and I had a brief fling with tennis. In spite of my pre-Title IX childhood when girls' sports were pretty much limited to watching the boys play, I did enjoy it. Granted, it involved quite a bit of running around, but at least it was for short distances. And he and I were pretty well matched. I could get to any corner of the court at top speed, and he had the hand-eye coordination (after years of baseball and basketball) that I didn’t. As annoying as it was to watch him, planted like an oak in the middle of the court, easily reaching and expertly returning anything I sent his way while I galloped around, here was exercise I didn’t hate.

Pickleball is a growing Florida phenomenon. With its shortened court and slow-moving whiffleball, it’s perfect for those of us who aren’t exactly in ‘leap over the net’ shape any longer – if we ever were. And one bonus about aging is that the bar of expectations is pretty low. At a certain point, we’re congratulated if we can maintain a brisk walk for more than a mile. 

6 comments:

  1. I've heard of pickleball but I never quite knew what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brisk walk for more than a mile? Definitely congratulations from here. I can, and do walk but it isn't brisk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on playing pickle ball. the groups are usually very social.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm unable to play any sports where a ball is involved, with my long-sighted, cross-eyed vision, I can't see anything coming at my with speed until it hits me in the face. it worked out well for me, because I'd rather sit and read a book anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of pickle ball. Wonder sometimes when it was that I stopped being able to run. It looks so easy. :) Poor Eli. I am always apologizing to him on our walks for not being able to run with him instead of stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love playing tennis until I did my back in in my later 40s.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.