Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The good oldies never get old








My last pass at the grocery store on Tuesday. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving generally becomes Marty in the bunker – this year I will churn out three pies, prep the Brussels sprouts, and prepare the potatoes and see very little of the light of day. Good thing guilt drives me out of doors to give Mamie a twirl around the block.

          I didn’t manage to get there till noon, which meant shoppers were in full swing. Being retired, I usually have most stores to myself, so when I have the bad judgment to shop on the weekend or just before a holiday it takes a few deep breaths and a dusting off of my supply of patience.

          Somehow anyone who stopped to contemplate a shelf managed to park their carriage right in front of the one thing I needed. The ones that weren’t doing that were instead blocking the end of the row. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone would invent baskets that would travel with us through the store on elevated wires?

          What did tickle me was this grocery chain’s grasp of their target shoppers for this time of day. As I worked my way through the sea of gray hair and other retirees, we were regaled with renditions from the Monkees, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and Neil Diamond. Not one song had been produced any later than 1969.

          Suddenly it was 1967 and I was back on the dance floor at one of Princeton’s eating clubs where the beer flowed so freely I ruined my shoes that night.

There in the dog food aisle, I had to restrain myself from tapping my Sketchers when I heard Eddie Floyd’s

          . . . thunder, lightning

          the way you love me is frightening
          You better knock, knock, on wood baby

9 comments:

  1. We shop in a basically fresh food market, owned by the same family since the forties. The clientele has an average age of thirty. The Muzak comes from the DVS's of the owners. I look upon it as the further education of the millennials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up at Costco today, and it was the zoo I expected it to be. It was a task I couldn't put off any longer, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Everywhere there were good samaritans allowing people to cut in line or smiling big at each other. I realized I must have a smile on my face, too. Totally unexpectedly delightful outing. But now I'm done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And their pumpkin pies are not only the size of manhole covers and super-cheap, they're really good, too.

      Delete
  3. I find Costco overwhelming. My partner loves it.
    I hope that the Thanksgiving Chores are over for you all - and the gratitude and pleasure firmly in place. Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm tuned into an 'easy-listening' radio station with a similar soundtrack and I actually get sick of hearing all that old stuff so turn it off for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, I end up being a weekend grocery shopper. I sometimes have to control my "road rage". I had to smile at your music reference. "Knock on Wood" was always a roller skating song for me. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! -Jenn (what kinds of pie will you make?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I churned out an apple, pumpkin, and the best pie ever invented - pecan.

      Delete
  6. my husband does the grocery shopping so I just give him a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless his heart.
      You got one of the good models!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.