Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving Villanelle




I thought it was high time we had a little culture around here.


Here's a villanelle for your poetical enjoyment and with inspiring thoughts as we gather for America's annual tribute to carbohydrates.  

And Happy Thanksgiving. 








Do not surrender on Thanksgiving Day
As the table creaks and groans beneath its load,
For on your waistline those calories will lay.

I sit as in Aunt Pauline will sashay
With green bean casserole, onions a la mode.
Do not surrender on Thanksgiving Day

Bowls tour the table in an endless relay.
Potatoes, stuffing, they tempt and they goad,
I fear on my waistline those calories will lay.

“Have more!” Grandmother will lean in to say
and to sweet faded eyes my will has been bowed.
Do not surrender on Thanksgiving Day.

The butter calls richly, the gravy betrays,
Pies wait with menace, and whipped cream forbodes:
Soon on my waistline those calories will lay.

Too late for me. My stretch pants cry, “oi vey!”
Save yourself and resist the family code.
Do not surrender on Thanksgiving Day,
Don’t give a new home for those calories to lay. 

10 comments:

  1. And a happy Thanksgiving to you. I love the villanelle. And now I know what villanelle means. I will probably surrender on Thanksgiving Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a slippery slope, well-greased by gravy.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is cute, well greased by gravy...lol.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a slippery slope I wouldn't be able to resist... Happy Thanksgiving (when it arrives) and eat hearty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thanks for the lovely verse, AND, now I know, too, what a villanelle is!! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Bica. And a happy day to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo! Excellent!! Our Thanksgiving was in October. Hope yours is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a whole different experience of it as expats and vegetarians, but Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.