Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Small Things

 

Fall's coming: The sedum's in bloom

This morning I woke up to a mama deer and baby in the back yard.

Absolutely silent, only their movement alerted me to their presence. It’s a safe area for them and mom was so relaxed she took the time to scratch herself with her back leg while her young’un munched.

          I cleaned two kitchen cupboards and sorted some shelves in the bedroom closet. Now when I reach for the oregano or a pair of shorts, I experience a little burst of pleasure.

          Where I’m not feeling pleasure is the end of the peaches. All summer, the peaches in the grocery store have been consistently (surprisingly) excellent. Now I only seem to be buying them to throw them out since they’ve been rotting before they ripen. I think I’ll toss this batch into the woods for mama and her family.

9 comments:

  1. Our sedum is just starting to shoot. Peaches? Months away and we have no deer in this vicinity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peaches and nectarines around these parts have been exceptionally delicious this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any sedum and wish I did just for the pre-autumn colour. I love peach season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice plant to provide color when the summer blooms are done.

      Delete
  4. Peaches certainly have been excellent this year, but now they are no longer for sale anywhere I shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our stores are full of them. Too bad they're inedible. Can't imagine how the stores justify stocking them.

      Delete
  5. Well, you'll make that deer happy, anyway! I almost never buy peaches in the store. They're just not that good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.