Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Withdrawal and Love Apples



          Last night was my second non-Nyquil night. 

The nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, aching, coughing, stuffy-head, fever, so you can rest medicine,” is magical stuff that, no matter how bad my cold, has the same impact on me that I imagine a large mallet over the head would. I took it for three nights last weekend and enjoyed an average of 9 hours of sleep each time.

          I enjoyed all those extra hours so much that on the fourth night – with no Nyquil – I felt as virtuous as if I’d put aside a long-time coke habit. And that night it took forever to fall asleep and I was awake by 6:00. Thankfully,  I’m now back to my normal 6 or 7 hours now. I can see, though, how people can become dependent on sleep aids.  

          The good news is that I’m an aberration in a family of addictive personalities. 10 years ago, after having a large chunk of my body trimmed off, I was prescribed oxycodone, and while I do remember it being a fairly dreamy period, I had plenty left over. I’m so non-addictive, my sister actually took me for Show-and-Tell to one of her AA meetings.

          And apropos of nothing, my morning walk today demonstrated one benefit of living here in our condo commune. A neighbor with serious gardening skills offered up some of her bounty, so I came home with tomatoes for tonight’s salad.



11 comments:

  1. I wish we could get Nyquil here! Alas, I don't think it is available. But I remember taking it in New York and appreciating that mallet-to-the-head feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it about Nyquil! when it is needed it is a prize! Otherwise , becoming addicted is EWWWW, not the easiest thing to swallow. I love that you were "show and tell"...genetics mystery! My brother was addicted to all sorts, me not so much- addicted to breathing about the only thing.
    Your neighbor left such a treasure on your step! Lucky you, yummy dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be the week for colds, I have one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's impressive, being a poster child for not being the addicted type. And yum on those maters. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Anyone who could duplicate that taste commercially would make millions.

      Delete
  6. I seem to also be of the non-addictive, but never have I been used for show-and-tell. That's next level! Glad the Nyquil did its thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh when I read that your sister took you to show and tell.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.