Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Harbingers

 

Years back, when we used to have a house on a lake, we spent Labor Day weekend packing it up for the winter tenants, the ones who were kind enough to pay the mortgage so we could afford a second home.

          Obviously, I already knew fall was coming by looking at the calendar, but every year another sight from that house's window told me, too. Only on that three-day weekend and never once during the summer, a gray heron would show up outside on the lake to tell us.


          Today I glanced out of the porch and saw that the girls are back.


 Not hide nor feather of them have I seen of them all summer, but they’ve just strolled through the backyard.  We’re on the turkey highway, and if this year is like any other, these three will pass by twice a day now on their rounds.

          On another avian note, I’m not sure if this also counts as a signal of the coming autumn, but I caught this fellow industriously trying to stuff his treasure into our gutter.


8 comments:

  1. I see the squirrels around here filling their cheeks with walnuts. A sure sign of fall! Great captures, Marty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our tree in back produces nuts the size of ping pong balls. I'll bet the Three Amigos remembered that.

      Delete
  2. There are definitely predictions we can make about fall visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herons are among my favorite birds. I like crows, too. They're pretty smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace with one, intelligence with the other.

      Delete
  4. Birds do have a routine, don' t they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These turkeys are a scream. Last year you'd see them go by in one direction in the morning, then coming back like commuters in the afternoon.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.