Friday, June 2, 2023

Dental Daydreams

 

Off to the dentist’s office at high noon today, the hygienist at one end of the showdown, pick in hand, and me there at the other end with nothing but my plaque to protect me.

          I deeply, deeply dislike having my teeth worked on, which is a little silly. I don’t have a traumatic history of dental work, outside of two root canals, which were easy-peasy. My three crowns, not so much, but other than that, my teeth have been behaving lately.

          In fact, the cleaning went so smoothly that instead of sitting there white-knuckled waiting for a bolt of pain, I was able to drift away into idle thoughts to pass the time. (I’m forced to provide my own entertainment since my hygienist is as silent as the Sphinx.)

          She’s a small, slender woman, barricaded behind her smock, head covering, mask, and plastic face shield. Then again, maybe she’s talking up a storm in there and the words are trapped behind the wall of fabric and plastic.

          She’s adept, though, fiddling and scraping, and twirling her pointy implement.


         
My mind wandered off to –

          Such small, delicate hands. And so precise. She’d probably make a good safe cracker. Or maybe a jeweler. Or she could defuse bombs. Or build them.

8 comments:

  1. I always hated having my teeth cleaned, my enamel was thin and nerves extra sensitive so I felt everything, now most of them are replaced by a denture so I am a lot more comfortable, but the remaining teeth are beginning to break and crumble so I'll have to get those removed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my. You have really seen the dark side of dentistry!

      Delete
  2. Planning the next murder mystery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god. A mystery in a dental office? Now you're talking horror!

      Delete
  3. I loathe going to the dentist. My nerves are sensitive and dental anaethesia doesn't work for me. I am glad you could drift away from the torture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never liked the dentist, but my current hygienist is quite gentle, too. She doesn't talk, but hums during the entire procedure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a pretty ideal situation, for a dentist -- not chatty and small hands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to have that over with, isn't it?
    Bomb builder or dental hygienist? Decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.