Thursday, November 17, 2022

Light to Dark

In spite of achieving my goal, today’s shopping experience was less pleasant than yesterday’s trip to the grocery store.

Yesterday, since I’m not the one cooking for Thanksgiving, I sailed passed the turkeys and ignored the piles of Brussels sprouts with a light heart.

     On my way home I found myself chuckling, wondering what the rest of the world would think of this septuagenarian grandma of five tearing down the road at 37 miles per hour, windows up, with Steppenwolf’s ‘Born to Be Wild’ cranked.

          Today I went to the one remaining mall in our area, something I actively avoid. Two of the anchor stores are gone and most of the other shops are for baseball caps, cheap clothes, and dollar stores. Fortunately, there are still one or two good stores, and I was there specifically to buy a birthday gift. I found what I wanted, but had to walk what felt like miles to get there. I don’t know what mall floors are composed of, but my legs are much less tired walking 2 to 3 miles pushing my golf cart up and down hills rather than trekking through a mall.

          And the traffic lights never changed fast enough for me -  maybe it’s the holiday season piled on the economy, but I swear to you, every intersection had someone out in the cold on the road divider, handwritten plea written on cardboard, begging for money.

 

9 comments:

  1. I think the difference might be in the mall, you keep going until you reach your chosen shop, while on the golf course you meander along from hole to hole. and you wear different shoes. We have the same here with people begging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. Next trip to the mall (which hopefully won't be for a long while) I'll wear my spongy sneakers.

      Delete
  2. Everyone seems to be doing their shopping already. You are making me feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be. This was a birthday gift for my excellent DIL, who has the bad luck of having to share her birthday with Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  3. I laughed at the picture of you roaring down the road at 37mph. And the number of homeless around here has fallen since it got so cold. I'm afraid they will freeze if they stay outside with nowhere to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could decide whether they're really homeless and as hard up at their signs say.

      Delete
  4. What would the world think ?
    The rest of us septuagenarians would be singing along at the top of our lungs . . .
    Yeees!
    Great fun ~
    Cheers
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better yet, picture a carload of us singing it!

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a scenefor your new story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.