Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Wanderers at the Door

     I can’t exactly claim to live in a gated community here in Florida.

Okay sure, we do have a bar that drops down to prevent a car from entering, but if you’re on foot or on a bike, you can just stroll/roll right in. We do have a hefty wall of trees and bushes ringing the property, in some places so thick that you could actually set up camp inside them. In fact, this may have already happened since a man has been spotted in them, although he may have decided to move up in the world.  

     I say this because we had a bit of excitement at one of our buildings. A resident tucked away in the corner of a third floor opened her front door for her usual 5:30 a.m. run - only to find a man hunkered down next to it. He soon disappeared, but while I’m trying harder to remember to keep our front door locked, I’m also grateful our unit is on the first floor and highly visible from the street.

  


   The only visitor to our front door was this tourist who must have gotten caught in a downpour and was too wet or tired to fly away. At first check we thought he was dead, next check he was flapping one wing, and at the third check he was gone.

 

13 comments:

  1. I am glad that your tourist recovered and continued his journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many homeless people on the streets in my town that it makes me despair that we will ever have a working society, at least around here. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the feathered antennae on the moth. Glad he was able to fly away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought he might have been some kind of moth. But for a moth, he was HUGE.

      Delete
  4. I am not sure if there are any gated communities in Canada. I have never heard of one but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None that I know of in Massachusetts, our primary home. They seem to be everywhere here in Florida.

      Delete
  5. Surprised he picked the third floor. I know Florida gets a lot of homeless in the winter. Can't blame them wanting a little warmth, just a bit scary to find one at your door.
    Surely we can do better for them.
    So pleased the fellow with the wet wings recovered. He was a big one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the moth was a cecropia. they are big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our is a little drab compared to the ones on line,but I think you're correct. I'm impressed by your knowledge!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful moth! Sorry your neighbor had that experience. Did she call the cops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but he was gone by the time they got there.

      Delete
  8. Florida seems to say "safe" with all its gated communities. I could never live in one, as they usually have many rules. There is a documentary out about The Villages which I would like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cant say I ve had any wanderers at my door
    in Lawrence, KS. Puh-ray-zuh Gawwd!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.